Sunday, February 14, 2010

Gut Wrenching Emotions:



  • As a nurse I have seen families go through gut wrenching emotions as they watch their child be diagnosed.

Other parents go through these same emotions as their son or daughter serves the military, hoping against all hope that they come home safe.

I know this and I can say I feel this. Our own son is in the process of seeing physicians for nodules he found in his back. He called me this week, told me he has had them a few weeks, and that he just doesn't feel right. He is scared.

My heart sank at his words. The words of faith and hope that I believe seemed more like words at that moment, empty and false. Hours later when my husband and I arranged our schedules to be with him at his doctor's appointment ( He lives 120 miles from us and is an adult child- none the less he wanted us there.) and we had gone from diagnosing him ourselves to saying okay God, give us strength to handle what ever this is, we are told he has benign lipomas. The doctor thinks they are benign but he referred us to a surgeon anyway, so we wait for that appointment. He diagnoses this without feeling our son's neck, without having him get undressed, and without so much as a drop of blood or urine to test. Do I believe him?

The bottom line, faith and hope is all you really have when life seems as if it is falling apart. The diagnosis will be what it will be... and we as parents will gather the strength to deal with it. We as parents who are both nurses, must trust that the physicians are right and wait patiently for the appointment with the surgeon. And we pray. Pray for strength, for good health, and for our son.

For all you parents who have children that are dealing with an illness or are in harms way as they serve our country, I feel for you and what you are going through. There is no greater love than that of a parent for a child. May God give each of us the strength to be the parents we need to be for the situation. May God sooth our gut wrenching pain, and make us whole.

1 comment:

Karen Cioffi said...

Terri, I am so sorry for your family's trouble. I hope everything works out. You will be in my prayers.