Monday, February 22, 2010

Another piece of my children's story about kids with cancer.....



I have a passion for kids going through serious illnesses especially cancer. The attitude that these kids have is one that every adult on the planet should adopt. Their attitude for the most part is positive, realistic, and these kids know what is important long before the average adult figures it out.

That attitude in the kids I have cared for over my nursing career is what inspired me to write a children's book where the main character has leukemia. I want kids to read about fictional characters with great attitudes and positive outlooks on life. Kids see joy where most adults don't see anything. Kids see awe in the average day things like the antenae on a butterfly and the guts of a squished worm. Kids watch ants work like a well trained army and we adults just grab a spray can of bug stuff.

So, my fictional character, Lilly, will show the reader about attitude and a bunch of other realistic kid like things in my childen's book tenatively titled The ABC's of Cancer According to Lilly Isabella Lane. And here is a snippet of what she has to say:

I have a childhood form of cancer called Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. Some kids might say it stinks. This is what I have to say about it in my own words.

A is for Attitude. It is all about attitude, a spunky, silly stubborn attitude, which my parents say I have. They also say that is a good thing if you have cancer. I don't think my teacher agrees, at least not during Math, but my new middle name is Spunky.

Parents: Please feel free to comment and give me your thoughts on your child reading about a fictional character that is going through a real life illness. Would it be helpful? Would it be too realistic and make you uncomfortable for your child to read this? Let me know. Check back soon to see what else Lilly has to say.

3 comments:

Mayra Calvani said...

Dear Terri,

I didn't know you were working on something like this. I admire you and what you're trying to do. I think it's very important.

I hope you will find a home with a good publisher soon, so that kids will benefit from your story.

terri.forehand said...

Thanks Mayra, I am praying that this is something that will benefit children dealing with cancer and offer them hope and encouragement. I envision Lilly journals, a Lilly cookbook or activity book, a Lilly stuffed cat that kids will find soft and comfy, and other off shoots from the original story, maybe a prayer book, a parent information book, etc. Thanks for the encouragement.

知道 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.