Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Special Needs Children....

Parenting Special Needs children is a challenge. As a nurse, some of those challenges I understand, but some of them I most likely cannot easily identify because I am not the parent of one of these kids.

As a Writer, I want to identify and define some of those challenges and clearly relate them to the reader.... so here is my plan. I will research and investigate, I will pull information from the many resources available to me as a clinical manager of pediatric special needs kids, and I will ask questions.....


But, who do I ask? Do I get the information from the professionals who have book smarts, clinical experience, and an objective view of how things should be for these kids? Do I find parents willing to share their stories so I can understand? How about I ask some of the kids what it is like to be thought of as special or different?

The more I want to help these kids and these parents, the more I realize I still need to learn. But most importantly, I have discovered that there is a need for more information for
  • parents
  • family members
  • neighbors
  • physicians
  • caregivers
  • children

So I will start on my journey of discovery. If anyone has information they would like to share with me, please feel free to help me to understand what parents need, what these kids need, what can be done to make life a little better. As a nurse, I want to do something to make a difference....anyone have thoughts on where to begin besides turning our heads the other way and pretending special needs kids don' t need us.

2 comments:

Champagne - Miner said...

I am actually in the works of writing a book called 'Inside Looking Out' that entails what it's like to be the parent of a terminally ill child. Our son is 13 and has Friedreich's Ataxia. We are now 7 years into his diagnosis. You can message me or email me at champagnelisa78@hotmail.com Ask whatever you want to to help with your search.

terri.forehand said...

Thanks for visiting and for your offer to answer my questions. I will definitely be emailing you soon.
Terri