It is a fact that society does not want to believe and most do not want to hear, but as a pediatric critical care nurse I see the facts every day and can tell you that abuse is real.
- Children are abused by the adults they love and trust. Again in the news, an Indiana baby has been allegedly beaten by the mom's boyfriend.
It is also common for parents who are dealing with the stresses of a poor economy, the serious illness of one of their children, or the loss of a job to take their anger out on a child or spouse.
It is unfair, it is against the law, and no one deserves to be beaten. Here are a few tips to keep anger under control.
- Count to 10 before saying or doing anything
- Walk away
- Remove yourself if you are the brunt of anger from a spouse
- Protect your children... report suspected abuse
- Talk to someone if you are angry or over- stressed and caring for your child is too much.
- Find a friend or family member to help you deal with childcare
- Seek professional help... there are many resources out there. Don't be afraid to seek help
- Call a church, hospital, or counseling service from the yellow pages if necessary to get a starting place for finding assistance.
Email me if you need more tips or have a question about what abuse means, what can be done, and prevention plans. Don't let yourself be hurt or don't let yourself hurt your child. There are people who care. Please, help to prevent adult and child abuse today. If we all work together, we can make a difference.