Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's day and love like there is no tomorrow



I think working in a pediatric intensive care unit warps my thinking sometimes, but for me Valentine's Day is a little over- rated.

  • It should be about love, loving, and loving again, and you don't need to spend money to do that.

This flower bouquet was sent to me by email by a writer friend whose work I admire, and whose encouraging words have helped me with my own writing. I share this bouquet with all of you and encourage you to reach out to love someone else.

I am thinking about the parents and families who have lost a loved one and whose loss is so deep that no amount of chocolate, diamonds, or flowers will make a difference to them, even on Valentine's Day. In our unit we have lost 5 children this week, and two have been diagnosed with a terminal illness. These families will always associate Valentine's Week with these sad times.

So love your family today, do random acts of kindness everyday, and for the next few holidays that are man-made and commercialized, take that money and donate it to a worthy cause with a heart full of love.

Love as if there is no tomorrow... and the world will feel like a better place.

Happy Valentine's Day to all.

No comments: