Thursday, February 19, 2009

Book review



Gideon's Gift

author: Karen Kingsbury

ISBN0-446-53124-3

Publisher: Warner Books

I am reading a variety of books for a class I am taking and randomly chose a few Christian novels by authors I admire for my reading this week.

Gideon's Gift was by far the best surprise in my sack of books this week and many of you may have already read it. It is centered around a Christmas theme of a Christmas miracle but I think can be read any time of year for that all over good feeling we need to get through the year.

And although I didn't know it when I brought the book home, the child in the story has Leukemia and is in need of a bone marrow transplant. This one fits right in with my passions for kids who are ill and Christ's love for them, and everything else I want to share on this blog.

Karen Kingsbury is a fabulous fiction writer of Christian fiction, and many of her stories are about real life issues we all run into now and again. This book is no different, and lets the reader deep into the feelings of the parents of a child who is seriously ill and who have to entertain the thought of death.

The book is a quick read, I started last evening and finished this morning, and my eyes are still misty. The book is warm, loving, inspiring, and makes you want to do something for someone else right this minute.

Pick up a copy at your library or purchase one from the book store. It is a book that could be read over again, for sure. It is a positive remembrance of what one small deed can do for another. Check it out. And visit www.karenkingsbury.com to see what else this great author has in store.

1 comment:

Carma's Window said...

Hi Terri,
Karen Kingsbury is very inspirational. She has so much to offer. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I did not know about her before.

Carma
http://carmaswindow.blogspot.com