Tuesday, December 2, 2008



Please read the following email which I received today.....

I am writing to ask if you would be willing in to include a link to our new website (http://www.icareicure.org/ ) on your blog. This foundation was started in 2007 after my sister lost her eldest son, Ian, due to complications stemming from childhood leukemia. The purpose of the foundation is development of, and raising public awareness about, cutting-edge, targeted therapies for childhood cancer, so that the treatment of childhood cancer will be gentler and more tolerable Please feel free to contact me if you should have any questions about ICIC. Many thanks,

Laurie Beaty

I checked out the site and I was impressed. First, the facts about childhood cancer are accurate and frightening. It is appalling to me that so little money is going to funding research for childhood cancers in relation to adult cancers like breast cancer or lung cancer. Keep in mind that treatment is based on adult doses and adult results. Check out the site and click on the tabs for facts about childhood cancer and funding. Scroll through the site and see the pictures of Ian and others because it helps to put a face to the need for more research. We can all help.

Readers who have no experience with childhood cancer cannot fully realize what a child and a family go through when being treated for these diseases. When you read through the site, share it with others and the kids and teens you know. The idea that even one child or teen can help to change the way research is done for childhood cancers is huge. Maybe the readers here can get together and find ways to help.... Check it out and let me know what you think. Let's spread the word. What better way to share in the spirit of the holiday season.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Terrie: Thank you so much for your support. I encourage anyone in the south Florida area to do the I Care I Cure I Run 5K on Feb 1, 2009. You can sign up here:
http://www.icareicure.org/registerNow.php?timerId=1&eventId=4364

It is a fun way to raise money for a great cause. My whole family will be there (along with a thousand others) to remember our Ian who would have turned 14 this February.

Carma's Window said...

Terri thanks for yet another worth while cause. I cannot imagine what families go through and it appears not enough research is conducted for children. I will pass this info along.

Carma

Donna McDine said...

Terri...thanks for your continued distribution of valuable info...much appreciated...keep up the great work!

Warm regards,
Donna
www.donna-mcdine.blogspot.com

Wanda said...

This is so inspiring. My dear friend lost her young 22 year old son this last Friday to cancer. He was diagnosed in 05.
They did everything to fight it...but it returned and with a vengance.
My heart has been reeling all weekend. He was a precious young man. He lived outloud for Christ and was a special leader at his college (PURDUE).
He will be missed.
Thanks for sharing!