Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Victory .....not the defeat.


I have been away from the blog for a few days because our beloved dad passed away suddenly last Friday. He was blessed to go peacefully in his sleep with the love of his life, our mom, by his side.

I have experienced the loss of my grandparents, my father in law, and my niece, but I have never experienced a loss so deep as the loss of my dad. He was a man of integrity, of love, of kindness, and of faith. He was our role model of what a loving husband, father, and grandfather should be. And he loved each of us unconditionally, as Christ loves his Church.


It is because of that faith that I can say to you here that I also have not experienced as much joy as the absolute joy of knowing that my dad is in heaven. I pray that each and every reader who is going through this kind of grief and loss will experience the same joy of which I speak.


Victory in death and heaven is the prize. May all of you share your love and your faith with others so death will not defeat us, heaven will greet us, and each of us will have everlasting life.

Peace and blessings to all. Hope to those who need it. And joy in everything, always joy.

And that is what my dad has taught me.

5 comments:

Theresa Schultz said...

Hi Terri,

I was in the room with my dad when he passed. My mom and brother were there also, and we all had the feeling that he had gone to a better place, a place of peace and no more suffering. It's hard to explain, but it made the grieving process so much easier when we realized we were grieving for our loss, but rejoicing for his eternal life. It's hard to put the feeling into words, but I hope you know what I mean.

Theresa

Jewel Sample said...

Hi Terri,
My heart goes out to you for the loss of your Dad.
Grief and loss is a personal journey each of us will experience sometime in our life. Indeed the comfort is knowing our loved one's new life has just begun being present with our Lord. They will remain alive within our memories and in our hearts forever.
I remember when my Dad died that I never wanted to forget who he was. He was a man who loved his neighbor by feeding his neighborhood vegetables from his backyard garden.
When I would visit he would ask me about different seeds or vegetables. Of course he loved to share and I loved to learn about his new finds. One day he treated me to heirloom tomatoes that were purple and striped dark purplish-red and white beans called Christmas beans. I still have a small jar full of bean seeds from my Dad's garden as a souvenir of days gone by.
May His peas surround you and kindness visit you,

Judy said...

Terri,
A picture can say so much about a person. Your dad looked like a wonderfully kind and gentle man.

Grief is such a personal experience and truly is a process. That you can find joy in knowing he is in a place of peace, with his Lord, will help. His presence in the room physically will not longer be there, but the memories in your mind and love in your heart will always be with you.

Judy

Dorit Sasson said...

Hi, Terri,

You had such a good close loving relationship with your father.


He looks like a very warm loving man.

I wish I could do or say something that ease the pain that you are feeling.

Dorit

Suzanne Lieurance said...

Hi, Terri,

My hugs and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

The sad part is that you will miss seeing and being with your father. But it is comforting to realize he has gone to a much better place.

Suzanne