Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Taking it all for granted.......


It is amazing that nurses untangle the mess of wires, cords, and monitors to make any sense of what each item represents. Yet nurses don't even look at the wires as a mess, they just untangle them and move on and never explain any of it to the parents.


I am in the process of writing a " day in the life" kind of manuscript for a publisher and in the process I am discovering how much I take for granted and how much the reader ( lay person, parent, family member, ) might not understand, and how frightening it might appear.


I also must take photos for this book. At first I could not for the life of me figure out what anyone would want to see that they haven't seen before. And then it occurred to me, that not everyone has had a child critically ill, thank God, and maybe they have never seen inside an ICU.


So, now I am on a mission to be more detailed in any explanation that I give to parents who have never had this experience. I will try to be more exact when I address certain issues here as well, because for most readers this may be the first or second place they have read about it.


With all of this in mind, please email me if there is a subject you would like more information on. You can also list it in the comment section. For starters, I think I will start with basic medical terms regarding laboratory testing that most parents will come in contact with at some point, even with healthy children.


Look for information on the complete blood count coming soon. More detailed information will be compiled into a handy ebook for parents when I have the best information put together. Watch for that information as well.

6 comments:

foodforbeginners said...

Hi Terry - what a great idea to provide a glossary for parents. In addition to explaining lab tests, you might consider anatomical definitions: for instance, things like "cerebral" versus "cervical" can be confusing when you're scared and worried about your child. This kind of info will help ease communication during a trying time for parents -- good job!

Theresa Schultz said...

Hi Terry,

This is a great idea. I know when my youngest had to go to the children's hospital for a colonoscopy some years ago we were really scared. It is a strange environment, and it helped that the nurse and a hospital liason really explained things well and made sure we understood exactly what was going on.

Theresa
Stress-FreeParent.blogspot.com

terri.forehand said...

Thanks for the comments. I look forward to giving information that parents can really use.

Terri

Carma's Window said...

Terri you are so great at explaining these confusing terms and situations. The hospital is a busy place and many times I know the staff just doesn't have the time to sit down and explain things. You are really going to have a valuable tool when you are finished.

Carma
http://carmaswindow.blogspot.com

Judy said...

Terri,
You continue to amaze me with your ability to be such an excellent resource - so caring and so willing to help others through such difficult times.

The biggest fear can sometimes just be not understanding what is going to happen. Thanks for what you do.

Judy
http://www.localfoodconnections.com

Dorit Sasson said...

Hi, Terry,

This sounds like a very important mission and I am sure it would be very helpful to parents and families everywhere.

Peace to you,

Dorit