Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Another great charity site.....think baseball player


The Chicago White Sox are an American League baseball team who happen to be doing pretty well this season. I am a fan, I admit. But it is not just baseball, or the game that I love. I love it when a team or player does good with what they are blessed with. I love to see them do well as a player. I love to see them play as a team. And I love when they do things to help others yet stay humble about it. That is the case with most of the players on the White Sox and especially Nick Swisher. He has a passion for children who suffer from cancer and other childhood illnesses and so do I. He has a charity called Swish's Wishes which helps ill kids and their families with all kinds of things like medicines, granting wishes, and education. He also contributes to other charities with the funds donated to his charity, things like helping our troops and their families who serve in Iraq. Visit http://www.nickswisher.net/ for more information. Also check out http://www.strikeoutsfortroops.org/ to see what is being done for our troops and their families.
We all can do more for others, so check these sites to see what fans are doing. You may just find something that touches your heart.
PS. Just don't tell Nick that I really like Bobby Jenks too!

5 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Terri,
I am not really a baseball fan, but love to hear about those athletes that take their time and give back to the community that got there where they are.

This is a great post and now people will be even more aware of his site. Love the name too.

Take care,
Judy
http://www.localfoodconnections.com

Suzanne Lieurance said...

Hey, Terri,

Another great post.

I'd divide the text into a few shorter paragraphs, though. It sure would make it easier (and more inviting) to read.

Suzanne Lieurance
The Working Writer's Coach
http://www.workingwriterscoach.com
"When Your Pen Won't Budge, Read The Morning Nudge"

Lisa Kirby said...

Hi, Terri,

I'm glad to hear of another celebrity making good use of their fame. It's refreshing to know that someone is making special use of their blessings by giving back to those in need.

Have a great day, Terri.

Lisa Kirby
www.familyfunandfood.blogspot.com

SuseADoodle said...

Terri,

I'm not a baseball fan. I went to three or four Minnesota Twins games, rooted for the east coast teams that came to play, and almost fell asleep when the Twins were in the field. Their pitcher would pitch to walk everyone and then try to strike out the next batters once the bases were loaded. ZZZZZ!

I went because I lived just three blocks from the stadium and it was a way to spend an evening, sitting behind home plate in the second tier getting a two hotdogs, a soda and the game ticket in one low low price (lower than buying the hotdogs ala carte).

I didn't read the sports pages of the paper, so I don't know if any of those guys had any charitable impulses or not. It's nice to know there are some high-paid athletes out there who do care and want to make a difference.

Thanks for sharing this info. And LOVE your final comment. :-)

Sue Berg
http://suseadoodle-ant-thymes.blogspot.com/
http://www.suseink.com/suse_ink/

Dorothy Massey said...

Hi Terri, a fun article with a serious message. A friend of mine used to work at Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital in London where celebrities often came to visit the sick children. She told me there were two categories of celebrity visitor. The first used the visit as a publicity stunt, posing for a photo then leaving, whereas the second chatted to the children and stayed a while. She was often surprised by which celebrities fitted into which category.