Saturday, May 24, 2008

Young Adults With Cancer....Resource and Website


Young adults who have cancer fall between the pediatric and the adult realm of information and education. I know they have unique needs and have challenges different than those of pediatric patients or the older adult population. Until now, they have not really had a place for their own expression and information. I have found a wonderful site for the twenty and thirty age ranged young adults. Check out www.planetcancer.org It is an awesome site for education, chats, articles on how to cope, and information on everything from the bowel gas(chemo farts) that chemotherapy causes to how to raise your children while being treated for cancer. The site was founded by Heidi Adams. She also serves as Executive director. I will visit the site myself for continued information and to keep in touch with how young adults feel. As a writer, what better way to stay in touch with those I want to reach out to. Pass this information on to anyone you know who might be dealing with cancer. It is a great place to be yourself. Make new friends here who are more understanding of what it is you deal with,when you have a diagnosis that others really don't want to talk about.
I am impressed with all of the young people whose blogs and comments I have read on the site. Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments: